Monday, May 12, 2008

Moyse's Hall Museum in my hometown.


This is the Moyse's Hall Museum in my hometown, Bury St. Edmunds, England. It was built about 1180. It's not known who built it, but the builder must have been wealthy. At this period, most houses were built of timber with wattle and daub while this building was built of stone and flint.
It's one of my favorite places. As a teenager, I'd look around the artifacts downstairs which included a medieval iron cage (for a person--not a bird), the Red Barn murder display ( I enjoyed the book covered in the skin of the murderer) and the cases depicting witchcraft. I still love looking around the museum and every item has now been arranged in new display cases.
In the 1950's, a young gal would meet her date under the museum clock.
Ah, memories!

In my novel THE DRAGONFLY, the heroine was held in the Moyse's Hall, which was a prison at that point in history. http://www.rosemary-goodwin.com/.
My book about the life of Ouida is sold at the museum's bookstore. See my website for more information.
_____________________________________